T.A. Field Estates Pty Limited is a private family owned company, currently controlled by Michael T. Field, the 4th Generation of the original family descendant.
The Field family have been involved in the pastoral, livestock and meat business continuously since 1885 when Mr Tom Field (Michael Field’s great grandfather) first migrated to Australia. Mr Field was originally involved with the butchery trade in England prior to emigrating to Australia and was forced to move to Australia at this time due to livestock disease outbreaks in his homeland. Mr Field started out trading as a butcher and was involved in the live export of cattle and sheep to the United Kingdom and had moved into wholesale carcass butchering. Tom Field’s son T.A. Field ΙΙ took over the family business in 1900 and, with his younger brother Herbert, expanded into grazing.
In 1906 they acquired their first property, Tooloom near Grafton. This was the commencement of the pastoral company now known as T.A. Field Estates Pty Limited.
In 1908 Gordon Brook was purchased, a property of about 23,000 acres near Grafton, and eventually a Hereford stud was commenced under the control of Sydney John Field and his wife Bubbles.
In 1912 the Fields formed a partnership with the Vickery family (until 1936) to purchase Willandra, a merino stud of considerable repute near Hillston, Western NSW. Pastoral acquisitions continued, notably Hunthawang in 1922 and Congi Station in 1928. Hunthawang was sold in 2010. Numerous stations have been purchased and sold throughout the last 100 years, such as Blue Nobby, Oban, Goree, Clifford Downs, Yamma, Belalie, Burrawang, Standbye, Brewon, Lanyon and many others.
In 1923 T.A. Field Pty Limited was formed.
In 1930 the 10,000 acre property Lanyon, a country estate on the banks of the Murrumbidgee near Tharwa, in the ACT was purchased. This property was resumed by the Federal Government in 1974 after a protracted legal battle.
By 1931 T.A. Field Limited had become a meat and pastoral empire, headquartered in Thomas Street, Sydney.
By 1948 the Field family had interest in abattoir operations and by the early 1950s they had expanded into retail butcher shops trading under the name “Springfield Meats” in New South Wales and “Morfield” in Queensland.